A large mixing bowl, 8-quart pressure cooker, knife and cutting board, 12" saute pan, measuring cups and spoons.
- Recipe type: Soup
- Cuisine: Vegan/GlutenFree
- Serves: 6 servings
- 1 lb black-eyed peas (dry)
- 6 cups water (for soaking)
- 1 large yellow onion, diced
- 5 oz sliced button bella mushrooms
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 1 rosemary sprig
- 3 cups coconut milk, (full fat, homemade or store-bought)
- 4 cups water or vegetable broth (see note)
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 cups shredded kale leaves
- In a large bowl, soak dry black-eyed peas in approximately 6 cups of cold water for at least 4 hours.
- While the peas are soaking, heat a saute pan over high heat. Add oil after the pan is hot and then wait for 15 seconds until the oil is hot. Reduce the heat to medium and add the diced yellow and sliced mushrooms. Saute until the yellow onion is transparent and fragrant. Approximately 3 minutes.
- Drain and rinse the soaked peas and then transfer them into a pressure cooker. Add the remaining ingredients except shredded kale leaves and black pepper. Follow the instructions for the pressure cooker and cook 4 minutes with a very low heat setting. Once the pressure drops on its own accord, add shredded kale leaves and stir gently to mix the leaves with the soup.
- Add black pepper to taste and serve hot.